About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Sunday 2 June 2013

Etruria Canals Festival 2.

We were away from Alvecote at 9am, after a splendid breakfast of Shropshire oat cakes with cheese and bacon inside, which set us up for the morning. Weather was chilly, but mostly dry and we were aiming for Handsacre, which has a good collection of pubs. Glascote locks were a little busy and bow hauling the butty took extra time. After that there was the long pound up to Fradley Junction, where John Mills wound the motor round, but Graham cut the corner a bit too close on the butty. On through the Fradley three locks in the pouring rain and we were all pretty wet by then. It was just a few more miles to Handsacre and eventually we stopped at bridge 58 for an excellent home cooked curry made by John M, before visiting The Crown Inn. The beer on gap was Doombar, which went down a treat, but not a very salubrious pub and I suspect The Olde Peculiar might have been better.

No comments: