About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Wednesday 28 August 2019

Freedom of the Cut 2019 - 19.

An Impressive Visit to the National Brewing Centre.


Sunday 25th August

Time to move on again, as well stocked up with shopping for a while and seen enough of Willington, what there is of it.

I found a good mooring just a little further than Shobnall Fields, behind some houses, but with hindsight I would have been closer to my goal at the Fields. My goal being The Bass Museum or National Brewing Centre as it is now called. Having tracked it down on Google Maps, I set off to walk there, which turned out to be 1½ miles away. It was an extremely hot day with little shade and I reached the Museum at 14.30. Fortunately it did not close until 17.00 and I spent a very enjoyable two hours there before finishing in The Brewery Tap, where I had three tickets to cover three thirds of a pint each and there was a good choice of ales on offer.

Having brewed my own beer from scratch for any years, I found the whole exhibition fascinating, especially the Burton Union System of brewing and it is only by seeing it first hand that it is more easily understood. Sadly it has been supplanted now by a more modern system, which needs less manpower to operate, as have many other brewing processes nowadays. However, I do believe they still use it to brew Pedigree beer. The other most interesting item on display was the Robey tandem compound steam engine and I had a chat with the engineer in charge, who even let me into the enclosure to look at the valve chests on the other side. What I had not seen before was the condenser that also created a vacuum when the cold water was sprayed inside and was inline with the piston rod and added extra power, making the whole thing 20% efficient. Both power cylinders were inline too and not side by side which is more usual. Best explanation is here:-
http://www.forncettsteammuseum.co.uk/the-sleaford-engine.html



Two cylinders in line, along with the condenser at the far end.

I had spotted a far larger Burton Union System outside the museum, but could not get a photo of it, as I was now locked in! The only way out being through the Brewery Tap.



The Burton Union System explained.


How many of these breweries have you sampled?



An example of the interior in a Victorian pub.........


......and the beer taps behind the bar.


The working micro-brewery in one exhibition hall.


The last remaining saddle tank locomotive of which there were many.


The blue wagon is actually a diesel loco.


A Morris Cowley with a two gallon spare can on the running board, which is very similar to the one I have on board.


Can you count the barrels in this stack?

Monday 26th August

Another very hot day was forecast so I set off for a pub by way of Shobnal Basin, where Jannell’s is still in existence after all these years. Long ago they used to have a hire fleet, although I never used them. I had a look around their extensive chandlery and their strip LED’s in particular, but they were more expensive than Midland and did not have the sophisticated dimming switch.

Walking along the main road, I got to The Compasses, but it was evident that it had been closed for some time. Realising now that I was walking in the wrong direction, I retraced my steps to the canal bridge and passed the front office of Marston’s Brewery and shop where the brewery tours start, but I knew they only did tours on Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning, which had to be booked in advance.

Continuing on, I eventually came to The Albion, which is the Marston’s Taphouse and is considerably different from the usual Marston’s houses, in that the handpumps were at the back of the bar and all exactly the same, also the beer was run along pipes in the ceiling from a rack of barrels in a glazed chiller in another part of the room, but that is where the difference ends, because the menu was much the same and there were fruit machines and muzak. I did at least know that the beer had not travelled far from the brewery.



Beer pumps draw the beer from .......


......this stack of barrels.



Tuesday 27th August

I walked up to Shobnall Basin to get another copy of Towpath Telegraph, as I had left the previous unopened copy in the pub and while there, I enquired about a weeks mooring, which to my surprise was only £43 and it was within walking distance from the rail station, so far cheaper than Mercia and no bus ride involved.

I let go later and cruised only for 2 miles, but passed Bridge 33e without thinking about stopping to go to Morrison’s until I got to Branston, where the famous pickle first made an appearance. By now Morrison’s was too far to walk, but there was another Co-op in the village where, just as before the produce was very limited.


I was in a pub when the landlady said, "Is your little friend not drinking then?".
To which I replied, " He has had his fill at the Co-Op across the road."


This is a good quiet mooring spot with rings and there were only two other boats visible, but no wi-fi was to be found anywhere. There were two pubs within walking distance and very little traffic along the towpath, but rain was imminent in the next few days and I needed to move on just in case the Trent went into flood again, although I did stay one night.

One of my good luck stories is that I found another £5 note today beside a lock; this is the 2nd one, as I also found one at Braunston during the historic boat rally.

Wednesday 28th August

I set off under a cloudy sky, that promised sunshine earlier and the day was much fresher with a slight breeze, but it was not long before the rain set in as showers, although some were prolonged more than I would have liked

I set off for Fradley through several single locks, some of which were operated for me, but most were done using the “Jacko Method”, whereby I step off the stern as the boat enters the lock with it out of gear to drift slowly in. Walking up to the top paddles with a windlass, I wait until the boat is within 10ft or so of the cill and then draw half a paddle off. The boat stops at the top gate, while I walk back to close the bottom gates, which are aided to close by the slight current of water through the lock chamber. The top paddles are now fully opened to lift the boat up.

All went well, except that I was now very wet once again as I got into Fradley moorings below Junction Lock and there were plenty of spaces at 15.30. I pulled in on the water point to fill the tank, but another selfish, inconsiderate, bastard boater insisted on passing by at some speed, thereby drawing my unmoored stern into the centre of the cut and almost into his own boat, despite me hanging on to the centre line as hard as I could. These people must have moored up with others passing by them, so why are they so bloody thick when doing it to someone else? If I see another boat without a mooring line fastened off, I slow right down so as not to disturb the other boat, because I know how much it affects them.

With dry trousers now on, I walked to The Swan for a pint and some relaxation and a browse through their menu. I hope the ‘specials’ are changed for Saturday, when I go there to eat with my daughter again.



These bridges cannot be taken at full speed.


My Road Pro 12v fan found in 
Braunston Marina laundry - a life saver in a heat wave.



No comments: