About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Wednesday 17 July 2019

Freedom of the Cut 2019. 11

Summer Break and New PC.

Monday 15th July

A few things have happened since I last blogged, one of which was quite expensive.

Firstly, I went home for a week to do the things one takes for granted, like opening two months of mail, most of which was trash. Settling the appropriate bills to be paid, like car tax which I missed last year and only paid it at the last minute, before the DVLC were going to take action.  Cutting the knee high grass and weeding the back garden. Catching up with friends at my local and drinking expensive beer like they have 'daan saaf'. Entertaining friends out to eat for favours done while I am away having fun

And the expensive thing? That was researching and buying a new laptop. I had been thinking of doing it for some time, but when I plugged the power lead into the old model and then fired up the inverter on board, the decision was made for me, because I reckon a voltage spike burnt out the charging circuit. Oh well, it had served me well and was 10/12yrs old, choked with stuff and flaky towards the end.
And so it was that my brother-in-law and I spent long hours searching the internet to find a suitable model to replace the old one. Finally I settled on the one that suited the bill and then had to go about finding out who could supply at fairly short notice. Eventually Argos looked like a suitable choice and they could arrange it to be picked up at the venue of my choice, which in this instance was Rugby where Stronghold was moored.

When I got to Rugby Wharf all was well and the mooring was even cheaper than last year! How about that then? In 2018 I was quoted £50 for a week and this time when I went to settle up, I was told it was £5/night, so the total being £35. I had previously asked Mick on nb Ragamuffin if he could play taxi driver to take me to Argos to collect this PC the following day, which is the other side of town, so I paid for another night.

No comments: