About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Wednesday 1 August 2018

Summer Jaunt 2018.13


Back and Forth


Tuesday 24th July

I had decided that a visit to the Battlefield Line Railway was the order of the day from Market Bosworth, where the terminus was just across the canal, so I let go at 09.30 heading in that direction. I must say that this canal and surrounding countryside is stunningly beautiful and with no locks, that is a bonus.

In two and half hours I reached Bosworth Marina, where there were moorings advertised outside. Strangely enough, Dame du Cane was there too and after I had winded Stronghold, Pat and Sue gave me a hand to moor up behind their boat. We had a walk across the bridge to search out the station and I left them to have a bite to eat back on board. They returned not long after to give me the bad news, which was that there were no trains running for some time due to staff shortages and the possibility of sparks from the loco setting fire to nearby fields, so that was a trip wasted for me, although I decided there and then to stop the night and maybe bus up to the town for a pint later, when It had cooled down a little.

We went on the bus to The Olde Red Lion, where I had been last time, in the centre of Market Bosworth. The beer was Marston’s of course, being a Marston’s house, but the food was home cooked and good.

As we had come on the last bus, we had to walk back, but at least it was all downhill.

Pat and Sue on Dame du Cane were going to stay another night here, but we agreed to meet up again at Sutton Stop on Friday, so they will experience the glory of The Greyhound for the first time.


Wednesday 25th July

Another red hot day was forecast and it has been more or less like this since the beginning of May, so no one can complain that it was a lousy summer. Canals are in trouble in the north and the Huddersfield Narrow is now closed from end to end. I have heard that the Southern Oxford has problems too, so it may be wise to return down the GU.

I let go at 09.30, heading back to The Lime Kilns again and the trip was uneventful although very hot once again. I thought of either stopping at Duck Corner and having a pint in the George and Dragon at Stoke Golding or keep on going to The Lime Kilns; the latter choice was the winner, although I did stop for lunch and to shop at the Bridge 23 Farm Shop, which was rather a waste of time with very little on display as they were about to close.

Continuing on, I arrived at the pub in good time and almost immediately went in to rehydrate, although I did not eat there this time. It is a very noisy mooring at evening rush hour and first thing in the morning, because it is adjacent to the A5 road, but there was ample mooring space above and below the A5 bridge.

I had had problems getting the cold air fan working, so that was taken apart and the spindle was quite stiff, so a little light lubrication was applied to both ends and then it started immediately, which was very welcome in the evening heat. You may remember that I found this 12 volt Road Pro car fan in the Braunston Marina launderette last year, along with the semi-circular table that is in the forward well deck well. Places like this seem to be a clearing house for other peoples’ cast offs, similarly the waste bin compound, where all sorts of treasures are to be had for free.

Thursday 26th July

I was away fairly smartly this morning to get a good mooring at Sutton Stop. All went well and I got to Marston Junction in good time without meeting any boats coming towards me. It was nice and cool at this time in the morning and an ideal time to go boating. I got to the Junction in an hour less than my trip up a couple of days ago. Sure enough, there were loads of empty spaces at Suttons on the Coventry, so I did not need to turn the corner and I picked the closest mooring to the old pump house – pole position for The Greyhound, where I paid a visit straight away.

The afternoon was mostly spent on trying to rehash the horn, using a relay and a separate power source, but it sounded pretty hopeless after a great deal of fiddling about. I think the answer is to either use a motorcycle battery or have the horn at the stern end, where there is less voltage drop.

Friday 27th July

The heat wave continues and I intended to clean up some of Stronghold today, but it has to be in the morning before it gets too hot. The horn was another continuing problem and by chance, I found an electric horn whilst searching a locker for something else, so I tried that out and with some alteration to the adjustment screw, I got it to work OK. It obviously did not require so much current as the 8 amp air horn.

Back to the cleaning business at long last. I had with me a Whale pump that I used in the garden for transferring water from one water butt to another, so I connected that up to a 12volt socket and extended the hose and tried it out. Sure enough it would pump water from the cut to the top of the boat with ease, which cut the cleaning time considerably and saved having to lift water in a bucket. Meanwhile, Pat and Sue were on their way to the pub for an early afternoon drink, so after finishing off the cleaning I joined them.

Back on board, I was tidying up the tools and replacing things on the cabin top, when there was a knock on the boat and I was very surprised to see Vic Wadley standing there with his dog Eric. It appears that he was moored just around the turn and was taking Eric for a walk, when he saw Stronghold. I should explain that Vic became a drinking buddy in The Pelican at Addlestone some long time ago, when he was fitting out his boat to go continuously cruising. That was more than six years ago and we seem to meet up by chance every year somewhere on the cut.

After such a hot job, it was time for a shower and change of clothes to welcome my daughter and fiancée on board and a visit to The Greyhound for a delicious meal in the restaurant and some suitable drinks, which was also very welcome after such a busy day.

Saturday 28th July

This morning was spent answering e-mails and sorting out attachments to be sent to the new editor of The Steerer magazine that I gave up editing a while ago. The internet connection was so annoying when it kept cutting out, or telling me that my e-mail server had gone off line. The BT hotspot was hit and miss too, so how does that work? Sometimes it was there and at others times it had disappeared completely. I discovered by chance that if I used a different USB port, things improved considerably.


Pat and Sue were on their way to the pub for a light lunch and shortly after that Vic knocked to join him at The Greyhound, so after introductions were made, we all sat at the same table and exchanged experiences. I occasionally looked out of the window and saw nb Guilrose about to come through the turn, so went out to surprise Jenny and Mike Moorse, who I last saw at Canalway Cavalcade in May. We had a brief exchange at the Stop Lock, before they went on their way towards Rugby – what a coincidence!

It had begun to rain when we left the pub, which then turned into a thunderstorm and it was the first rain since the beginning of May. By 6pm, the heavy clouds had passed over and the wind dropped to zero, after blowing strongly all day. There is more rain forecast for the next couple of days, which might catch me out on the cruise back to Rugby.

Sunday 29th July

I think it rained all night, but it was much cooler and sleeping was more comfortable. The rain continued throughout the morning and is forecast to carry on until 7pm and then after today it will be sunny intervals, so cruising back to Rugby is looking good.

It was a lazy morning mostly spent reading blogs and writing this one. I was pleased to see that Maffi has started blogging again and rightly has a go at speeding boaters and the damage they cause to banks and wildlife. It really annoys me too when they are so inconsiderate towards other moored boaters and threaten to pull out mooring pins with their speed. If you ask them to slow down a bit, you are often told to “get a life”, so they are also ignorant as well as selfish.


Monday 30th July

I got to Newbold and had to ask a man on a brand new boat if he would mind moving up to the next ring, so that I could get in, which he and his wife obliged and Stronghold fitted in with about three feet to spare. The guy then asked if that was standard practice to moor on the same ring, to which I replied that it was like parking in the street with room for someone else to park as well. From that I recognised that he was new to boating, which he owned up to and he had only had his boat for a week, although he had hired boats previously. When I walked up to The Barley Mow, his wife was there having a drink, so I joined her and he turned up later.

Tuesday 31st July

It was time to move again and before going home, I had enquired about a mooring in Rugby Wharf, which is one of Brindley’s original arms now, although it was originally a part of the North Oxford Canal, before Telford dug out all the straight connections. Mooring was no problem here and I got a bank side position, but with only one ring to tie up to, so had to use a stake as well.

I had a walk to suss out the bus stops and had a pint in the Steam Turbine, a big Hungry Horse pub and you know what I think of them! Sure enough the Abbott ale was off as soon as the barman pulled the handle, so I had to settle for something else.

No comments: