About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Saturday 14 May 2016

Stronghold on Tour 6.

Thursday 12th May

Once again I only travelled a few miles to Harefield and pulled in close to other moored boats. I was directed to moor further ahead than planned, because it was too shallow. I paid a visit to The Bear OnThe Barge pub, being the nearest and wish I hadn’t. I was really sussing it out for a meal later, but not only did it have a pretentious menu, it was also overpriced. Reviews on Google and Trip Advisor were very uninspiring about the food and service. I had always passed this pub by on previous trips up the GU and now I know why. The boat moored behind me looks like a floating version of Charity Dock on the Coventry Canal.



Friday 13th May

Time to mop out the water in the gas locker, so out came two heavy gas cylinders, etc and mopping out began. It was sunny, so I left it open with the engine running (the exhaust silencer is right below), to dry out, whilst writing up this blog. Nb Fulbourne just passed by, on the way back from Little Venice with Elaine steering. I am just waiting now for another boat to be going through the lock, so that I can join it.

Nb Gerald No.13 came along and I joined them for Widewater Lock and others as far as Coppermill Lock, where they stopped off for water. Gerald was an ex BCN Joey boat, built in 1898 and converted in 1965 to a cabined boat with a two cylinder Lister engine. I was quite happy to wait for them, but another boat came along with a pair of young liveaboards, so I tagged on to them. They happened to work in London and were doing the right thing of moving a good distance, rather than continuously mooring, but at a cost of £300 a month/ person travelling to and from work. We parted company at Rickmansworth Tesco, where I was in need of supplies and they continued to find a mooring. I very nearly passed by a space just big enough by the River Colne bridge, but reversed and had an excellent mooring for the night, but without a TV signal. A quick visit to The White Bear for the sake of nostalgia was necessary.

No comments: