About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Tuesday 26 August 2014

The Grand Canal Tour 2014. Ferry across the Mersey.







At last the weather changed for the better and the wind had dropped, so it was time to do the ferry and the U-Boat Story on the other side of the river. A very good experience, although I expected to be able to go inside the submarine. However, when I realised what state it was in after 40yrs underwater, I was sympathetic to the way it was presented. Although it had been well preserved in silt that entered the vessel when it was sunk by a depth charge, it was extremely rusty, with dangerous sharp edges and to show it in detail, the ship had been cut into pieces so several sections were on view behind glass screens. Difficult to photograph, as reflections were very evident in the screens.
The Liverpool waterfront.
Stern with rudder and hydroplanes.
Damage from the depth charge.
 
The electric motor room.
The diesel engine room.
 
 
I spent some time in the Albert Dock Welcome Pavilion to be able to upload this blog, as they advertised free Wi-Fi. What they don’t tell you is that it is only free for 30 mins! Anyway, I managed to do all that I wanted in that time.
 
On the way out, I noticed this......

..........so who would live on the top floor with  only inches of floor space? It is an optical illusion, because what you can't see is the rest of the building behind this façade that retreats in a concave curve on the right hand side.
 
Back to The Baltic Fleet at the end of the day to upload a bit more blog on unlimited free Wi-Fi. Apparently, this is the only pub with its own brewery and their beers are excellent; I know, ‘coz i have now tried them all!

No comments: