About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Thursday 4 April 2013

Basingstoke Assault 7.

I was so exhausted last night after sawing up a load of wood, that I fell asleep after a meal and missed the BBQ and bonfire. Oh well, I had nothing to BBQ anyway.
There was an extremely bitter north east wind blowing, so I had go below several times on the journey back just to get warmed up. The ghoul hanging from the high bridge had now gone, so I can only assume that someone had climbed out on the concrete girders to retrieve it. It was far too high to poke out with a stick. I caught up with nb Watoo Watoo to go through Ash lock together and not long after that, I had a bladefull of plastic sack that put the boat totally out of control. I was at the mercy of the wind and ended up at the bottom of someone's garden (I did consider dressing as a fairy), before I managed to remove the sack.
Passing Through Mytchett Lake.
Otherwise the trip was uneventful and I arrived at Mytchett in good time to moor alongside nb Nancy Bell, which had been there for the last three days with a broken engine water pump. Fortunately, Dick had an electric waterpump, which he hopes will enable him to do the return journey back to the Wey. I moored next to nb Rowan, with the broken crankshaft, which I will be towing back to Pyrford over the next three days. I am hoping that my Narrow Boat Trust experience of towing and locking a pair of boats will pay off, but towing an unknown boat will be a challenge for the first mile or two and lock I expect.

No comments: