About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Monday 8 May 2017

Summer Cruise 5.



Sunday 7th May

I make no excuse for adding photos that I previously missed out through forgetfulness.




The present state of visitor moorings from Little Venice to Kensal Green.


A very attractive joint garden scheme close to Little Venice.


Something I never noticed before - Shackles Dock near Bull's Bridge.




The bridge into Shackles Dock was restored by Nestle in 1993.

It was time I moved on from Uxbridge, so left at 10.30 with detritus already around the prop after a few yards. After several attempts, I managed to shake it off, but gained even more on the way. Eventually I had to stop at Denham Deep Lock, where a live aboard had moored in the centre of the lock landing on centre line only. There was a notice from CRT on his tiller about his bad habit. I felt like writing on his cabin doors in felt tip pen, or physically moving the boat, maybe even setting it adrift I was so angry. However I did none of these as I had to lift the weed hatch once more and clear a heavy gauge plastic sack off the blades with a knife.


A little later the sun made an appearance and continued until late afternoon, making boating a real pleasure in the warmth. Passing the sewerage works, I indicated to a couple that it stunk and she said, “It’s not my husband honestly”, making us all laugh.

Doing a few locks with other boats made life easier after that until I arrived at Rickmansworth and found a very convenient mooring with rings opposite Tesco’s car park. I remember well mooring here with NBT on my first long trip from Braunston to the Ricky Boat Festival in 2011 – a very enjoyable event.

Familiar and useful to boaters in Ricky.

Also here is nb Rose in June and I had a quick word with the daughter on the bow as I passed. The boat is normally moored below The Pelican, though previously she was moored close to Kingston Bridge. I have a strong feeling that she has new owners.


Unsafe boating. 
If the woman steerer hit an object with the rudder, 
she would end up in the cut; even more so in reverse.


Using my new wi-fi aerial, the signal from Tesco is by far superior to the BT local hot spot and is probably faster than my home router. If you want one, go to Amazon and certainly not GSM Secure Ltd. in Stockport. After the last debacle I had with them, I believe they have dissolved the company. I did eventually get a refund from Paypal, but it took a long time.

No comments: