About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Friday, 2 June 2017

Summer Cruise 16

Wednesday 31st May

Having edited the last post, you may have missed this piece of news:-

I have just had really good news and that is that Nuneaton and Brighton are coming to Braunston and have been asked to open the Rally, captained by my friend Barry. If I can get some time off from marshalling, I may have the opportunity to steer Nuneaton again, as I did last year in the parade. I should explain that both boats are at Brinklow Boats for serious and expensive repairs after a thorough survey, but I am assured that they are fit to travel if treated gently.

It’s off to Rugby now for some serious stocking up at the big Tesco store. All went well, with easy cruising and only three locks at Hillmorton. Although I stopped at Hillmorton, I missed out on a photo opportunity, so I will blog that later with pictures. I sussed out some good mooring places to leave the boat for a while close to Rugby rail station.

Shopping done, I pulled the pins and headed for a quieter place to moor up until I came to Newbold, where several boats were already moored. The Barley Mow had not been entered on the NBT database, so that was next on the list and was far better than I remember from previous visits.

Thursday 1st June

There is still a mystery surrounding the calorifier and hot water. After travelling for 3 to 4 hours, the temp suddenly rises from 80°C to 100°C and thinking about it, I reckon that the cold water in the hot water tank that was previously cooling the engine water had reached the same temperature as the engine and was no longer cooling it. I will try opening the skin tank cock a little more today and see what happens.

Just to prove my point, the temp rose very quickly to 90°C in half an hour, so I kicked open the cock completely to full skin tank cooling and the temp sank to 80°C and stayed there for the rest of the trip.

It took five hours from Newbold and I reached Sutton’s at 15.30. After getting securely moored up in pole position, which is the last mooring before the stop lock, I walked up to empty the rubbish and made a snap decision to go in The Greyhound for one pint. Whilst sitting in the bay window, three other guys were discussing the article on Alice Lapworth in Towpath Talk. I was looking at them and listening to what they had to say about her and the family, when one of the men asked me to come and join then on the bench seat. I said that I knew her and had invited her over for a drink at the pub. The man next to me introduced himself as Dean Harrison and the surname rung a bell with me. I asked if he was related to Jeanette Harrison and he was. It turned out that his father was on the boats years ago and he knew a great deal about the old boaters and their families. He bought me another pint of mild and the conversation continued, until it was my turn. Dean’s son and daughter also joined us, by which time the other two guys had left for home. Later another of his friends turned up with his wife and more conversation about boats continued, until glasses were empty and although I refused a pint but agreed to a half, it turned out to be a pint anyway!

Dean took my phone number and we finally parted company at 7pm. It is amazing sometimes how serendipity works and turned out to be very enjoyable. Fortunately the mild ale is not very strong, as I had to go back and cook a meal. 

I just tried to get these pics side by side, which happened only when I added titles. Is there any other way of achieving this? Comment please.

Dean and myself in The Greyhound.
Notice that no beer is visible!
Part of the bar interior.

No comments: