About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Thursday 19 May 2016

Stronghold on Tour 9.

Wednesday 18th May

Still sitting it out at Berko in the rain this morning and not a lot happening. I had a chat with the boat checker earlier and it appears that this is a 14 day mooring spot, so no problem staying here. In fact. it would be a good place to leave the boat awhile, as there is a train station close by.  nb Flamingo went past this morning and prompted me to have a read of their blog :- http://sickleandflamingo.blogspot.co.uk/ which I found very interesting. They are on their way to the Ricky Festival with a few problems on earlier pounds with the "bottom being too near the top", but then they have a deep drafted boat, which makes it even more difficult.

I make no apology for posting more pics of Stronghold on here that were taken by Aimee Roweth of http://www.twitter.com/thameswatch from the bank, by the appearance of the photos. Very impressive indeed.





The most impressive left to last. How small is Stronghold against that?

Later in the afternoon, Sue appeared with her dogs Meg and Penny just as I was having a bite to eat. We agreed to meet in a pub of my choice, which could only be The Riser yet again, even though I was aiming for an alcoholic free day and had vowed never to visit that pub again ...... well, for the rest of the week at least! Good conversation mostly about the new build wide beam being built by Collingwood Boat Builders in Liverpool and the problems that arose from changing over boats. We walked back up to their mooring for a quick chat with Vic and to meet Geoff and Mags on board Seyella, who were looking after the dogs the following day, when Vic and Sue were off to Liverpool again – probably for the last time before the launch in two weeks.

I had cooked up a beef and lamb casserole some days ago and made three cottage pies and still had some left that I intend spicing up to have with rice, but I could not face another meal of the same, so searched out a Thai restaurant in the town and had a sumptuous meal with tempura king prawns for starters, that were the best I had ever tasted. Phad Thai was a bit short on prawns and the tempura ice cream left something to be desired. Anyway, it was a change from meat casserole.




No comments: