About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Saturday 26 July 2014

The Grand Canal Tour 2014. Being a tourist.


The obvious thing to do, according to all the peeps I talked to, was to walk the city walls, so I started at the second most photographed clock in the UK, Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee clock mounted on a bridge over Foregate. It proved to be an almost complete history of Chester as I passed by various points of interest along the walls, each with their own information boards. I think the pics will tell the tale.

Start at the Jubilee Clock.........
 

.....up  these steps with the reflection in the window.....

....and follow these two ladies around  the walls.

You may be eligible to be a customer at this pub. 
Houses in Park Street.
Continue towards the River Dee.......

......and the bridge into Wales.
 

Waterfront and weir.

Moored fishing boats.

Chester castle.

Chester racecourse, the oldest in the world since 1539.
The Water Tower, built 1329 to defend the port of Chester.

Pemberton's Parlour, where John Pemberton the
Murenger and ropemaker oversaw his workers on the
ropewalk below.

A narrow boat passes through the rock channel below the walls.



View of the cathedral.

And closer.

The nave.

The Consistory Court dating from 1635.

Nave window.
The Rows - unique to Chester...........

..............shops above shops, where you can walk through.....

....under cover in many of the streets.
Time to rehydrate in The Cross Keys - another immaculate Joules pub.
 

I must say that I enjoyed Chester very much, despite the heat of the summer. If you are boating near here it is well worth a visit.


 
 
 

No comments: