About Me

My photo
After thirty years of hiring, I finally bought my own 50ft boat in 2005, which was built in 2001 by Andicraft at Debdale Wharf. I mostly cruise single handed and have no problem with that, although it does take a little longer than with a crew. My mooring is on the Wey Navigation, so I have a choice of routes on the Wey or the Thames.

Monday 6 May 2013

Canalway Cavalcade 5.

Saturday was the day for the Pageant of boats and each boat was decorated in individual style, competing for the coveted prize. I had new bunting that I had never assembled on the boat, but had already made up the means of support. Assembly was a trial and effort affair and I was very pleased that I had bought along various bungee cords on the off chance. It worked out well eventually and I decided to add my green plastic bottle windvane that I made on a Spanish camp site about twenty years ago.
A rare outing for the wind vane, which was well photographed.
 The mounting was very makeshift and it blew over in the gusty wind as soon as I came out into the Pool, but I had to carry on down through Maida Hill tunnel and wind the boat at Cumberland Basin, two miles further on, where I pulled in to make modifications. It was a very enjoyable experience cruising through "Blowup Bridge" and London Zoo and back to Little Venice.

Looking good, but no wind vane!

On return to my mooring, the engine stop cable broke, but I managed to rig up a length of Kevlar to do the job temporarily. On mentioning this to other club members, I discovered that Dick King had a spare one, which he offered to sell to me. This was gratefully accepted and with a few modifications to the end part, it worked better than the original, as it did not stick in the up position. Such are the advantages of cruising with the boat club, as if something goes wrong, there is plenty of help to hand.

No comments: